There was a time when many or even most products were American-made. However, since the late 1990's, American manufacturing has been on a steady decline. Many U.S. companies have moved their factories and the jobs they provided – to other countries where labor is cheaper, such as China and Mexico. Go to any retail store, pick up a random item and take a look at the label. Chances are you’ll see "Made in China", "Made in Mexico” or “Made in Taiwan” – very rarely will you see “Made in the USA.”
Consumer Reports conducted a survey that found that about 8 in 10 American consumers said they would rather buy an American-made product than an imported one. And more than 60 percent say they’re even willing to pay 10 percent more for it. For some, the decision might come from a belief in American made product quality and safety, while others believe it’s the best way to support the American economy and American workers.
So if 8 out of 10 Americans would rather buy American Made why do we not see more items that are "Made In The USA"? One of the main reasons companies are manufacturing products in China is the availability of low-cost labor, with the average Chinese worker earning only 75 cents an hour on average.
Increasing the demand for American Made
One thing we can do to ensure more American made products are brought back to our store shelves is to buy more products that are made in the USA. Buying American made products increases the demand for Made in USA products! Companies such as the Made In America Alliance was founded to bring together manufacturers, innovators, business owners, and patriotic supporters across the USA to create a healthier, stronger nation through the support of American businesses. They exist to encourage and facilitate the greater use of products that are Made in America.
Made In America Alliance makes it easy for us to find made in the USA products that are hard to find in our stores. No more going from store to store trying to find what you need. They have an easily searchable database, and you can even narrow the search down by state!
Benefits of Buying American Made Products
1) Choosing American made means you're helping create jobs here for Americans. It supports the local and national economy by helping American families thrive financially, which in turn further stimulates the economy at all levels.
2) Products manufactured here are usually built with higher quality components, which increases the longevity of products. Made in USA is built to last!
3) Many countries have no minimum wage restrictions. When you choose products made in the USA, you contribute to the payment of an honest day's wages for an honest day's work.
4) U.S. companies and manufacturers are held to higher federal and state environmental regulations. When you buy American made, you're helping to keep the world a little cleaner for future generations.
5) Those countries that produce cheap goods have lower product safety standards than what manufacturers are held to in the United States. For example, poisonous levels of lead have been found in millions of toys shipped to the United States. When you buy products made in the USA, you can be confident that American consumer protection laws and safety standards are in place to protect your family.
6) When you purchase American made products, you're supporting American jobs and taxes. The more taxes paid by both consumers via sales tax and employees via income tax means more revenue being sent to the American Government, U.S. Treasury Department, as well as State and Local Governments, all of which help support and improve American Infrastructure.
7) Buying American made products increases the demand for Made in USA products!
Find American Made Products While Shopping Online
These days consumers have a greater opportunity to make educated and informed decisions regarding the brands and products they buy. Additionally, consumers have access to a wealth of information and resources while shopping online. Some online stores have dedicated their eCommerce business models to focus on American Made Products manufactured by American-owned businesses.
The availability of online stores and brick and mortar retailers who focus on American products and services have been on the rise recently. This has opened up a whole new world for consumers allowing them to find products that are made in the USA in practically any industry or product niche you can imagine. One example of one such eCommerce website is Kinilly Natural & Organic Products where you can find a multitude of All-Natural & Organic American-made products, produced by American owned and operated businesses.
In order to protect consumers from "Made in the USA" impostors, the Federal Trade Commission regulates the use of the "Made in the USA" branding through the FTC’s Enforcement Policy Statement on U.S. Origin Claims. This FTC policy ensures that brands do not falsely claim the products they sell are Made in the USA when in fact they are not.
As consumers, it is our right to shop for products and services made with high-quality ingredients or materials with the ability to know exactly where they originated from and exactly where that product is made. Thankfully there are retailers who proudly display this information, as well as stores fully dedicated to exclusively offering American Made Products made in the USA by American Brands, American Businesses by American workers.
Join us on our mission to support American Business by shopping for American Made Products and Services at American owned and operated retail stores. Together we can drive the U.S. economy and increase supply and demand bringing that sense of pride we have in products MADE IN AMERICA.